Key questions that will be answered…..
What physical factors determine the supply of water?
· How does the climate of an area influence the amount of water availability? (Precipitation, temperature, seasonality)
· How does the relief of an area influence the water supply? (mountains are good locations for reservoirs – Elan Valley)
· How does the geology of an area influence the supply of water? (permeable rocks make good aquifers – SE England; impermeable ones hold water in surface storage)
· Use these three factors to explain water supply in the UK?
How do human activities influence water supply and demand?
· How do demographic factors influence demand and supply of water? (number of people, urban vs rural populations)
· How do social factors influence water supply and demand? (Domestic use, health, sanitation)
· How do economic factors influence the demand and supply of water? (industry, energy production, agriculture, technology)
· Explain why different competing uses have different demands on water supply.
How can the water supply and demand be sustainably managed?
· What are the impacts of increasing water supply by implementing new storage capacity? (the impacts of dams and reservoirs – Itaipu Dam, Brazil; Three Gorges, China)
· How are water transfer systems used to balance the spatial mismatch between supply and demand for water in the UK? (Elan Valley – Birmingham, Severn – Thames basin transfer)
· Are groundwater sources (aquifers) being used sustainably? (London, Israel/Palestine)
· Explain the costs and benefits of desalination, recycling of water and the use of grey water. Do these techniques meet the terms of sustainability? (Economy, environment, society, futurity)
· How can the consumption of water be reduced? (domestic use, regulation, hose-pipe bans, GM foods, improved technology)
Can a sustainable water supplies be maintained in the future?
· How sustainable is energy supply and demand in the UK?
· Which is a more sustainable approach to meeting water supply needs – surface water or groundwater?
· Evaluate the sustainability of the different methods of water supply. Which options meet the terms of economic, environmental, social and political sustainability?
· Can consumption of water reduced even though the population of the world is predicted to rise to 9 billion by 2050?
Some key terms you should be familiar with…..
Sustainable development Water Supply Aquifers Dams and reservoirs
Inter-basin transfer Itaipu Dam Three Gorges Dam Grey Water Desalination
Futurity Social Justice Spatial / Temporal mismatch Permeable/impermeable