Solomon Islands Exam Questions
You will need the Pre-Release Resource Folder, a new copy of this Folder will be given out in the examination
In this synoptic exercise you will be assessed on your ability to synthesise knowledge and understanding and skills derived from your A level course.
You are reminded that the assessment will take into account the quality of written communication used in your answers.
The main focus of the materials in the Resource Folder is on food and water supply. It contains information about the Solomon Islands environment and wider considerations, such as the reliability of food and water supplies and ways of increasing food and water supplies.
Time allowed: 1 hour 45 minutes
1. Select evidence from the Resource Folder to suggest how the population of Honiara may grow between 2000 and 2015. (10 marks) - 15 minutes
2. For an area that you have studied and using information in the Resource Folder, explain how one of the population dynamics shown in the top box of Fig. 7 in the Resource Folder has led to a shortage of either water or food. (10 marks) - 15 minutes
3. To what extent do the Solomon Islands have the potential to meet future demands for food and water? (10 marks) - 15 minutes
4. 'The proposals for the development of the Solomon Islands are not equally sustainable.' Discuss the extent to which this is true. (25 marks) - 30 minutes
5. 'The best way to achieve sustainable development is to use less energy.' Why might opinions differ over this statement? (25 marks) - 30 minutes