River Severn Tidal Power Exam Questions
You will need the Pre-Release Resource Folder, a new copy of this Folder will be given out in the examination
In this synoptic exercise you will be assessed on your ability to synthesise knowledge and understanding and skills derived from your A level course.
You are reminded that the assessment will take into account the quality of written communication used in your answers.
The main focus of the materials in the Resource Folder is concerned about the advantages and disadvantages of the proposed tidal barrage across the River Severn in the Bristol Channel.
Time allowed: 1 hour 45 minutes
1. Select evidence from the Resource Folder to suggest the positive contribution a tidal barrage could make to Britain's pledge to the European Union to generate 40% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2020. (10 marks) - 15 minutes
2. Using Fig. 3 from the Resource Folder, and your own ideas, explain why people hold such strongly opposing views as to the potential of tidal power. (10 marks) - 15 minutes
3. To what extent does tidal stream power (refer to the Resource Folder) have the potential to meet future demands for energy in the UK? (10 marks) - 15 minutes
4. 'Tidal power should be rejected in favour of other sources of energy in south-west Britain?.' Discuss the extent to which this statement is valid. (25 marks) - 30 minutes
5. 'The best way to achieve sustainable food production is to reduce population growth.' Discuss. (25 marks) - 30 minutes