Lima Exam Questions
You will need the Pre-Release Resource Folder, a new copy of this Folder will be given out in the examination
In this synoptic exercise you will be assessed on your ability to synthesise knowledge and understanding and skills derived from your A level course.
You are reminded that the assessment will take into account the quality of written communication used in your answers.
The main focus of the materials in the Resource Folder is about Peru, and particularly Lima, leading to a consideration of the sustainablility of large cities in the developing world.
Time allowed: 1 hour 45 minutes
1. Select evidence from the Resource Folder to suggest the reasons for urban growth (population) and urban sprawl (buildings) in Lima. (10 marks) - 15 minutes
2. For areas that you have studied and using information in the Resource Folder (Resources 4 and 5), explain the impacts of the development of informal settlements. (10 marks) - 15 minutes
3. Outline the issues associated with providing housing for rapidly-growing populations in LEDC cities such as Lima? (10 marks) - 15 minutes
4. 'The city of Lima's growth and sprawl is out of control.' Assess the extent to which Lima's development could be managed sustainably. (25 marks) - 30 minutes
5. The best way to achieve sustainable development is to 'think global, act local.' Assess the validity of this statement. (25 marks) - 30 minutes