Geofile 546 – Shanghai
1. Describe the growth and importance of Shanghai both within China and globally.
The 5 Key Problems:-
2. People and space
- Why are there no (few) squatter settlements in Shanghai?
- Why did population growth stabilize during the 1990s?
- Using facts and figures, list the problems of such a high population density.
- Using data, list the transport problems in Shanghai.
4. The Brown Agenda (Environmental issues in LEDCs)
- List the causes and impacts of 4 environmental problems in Shanghai. Use facts and figures.
5. Socio-Economic problems
- Why is the class divide smaller in Shanghai than in other LEDC cities?
- Describe the income differences present in Shanghai and outline the problems that these cause.
- Explain the two potential causes of flooding in Shanghai.
- For each of the 5 key problems, evaluate the extent to which they are being managed successfully – give examples that show both sustainable and unsustainable development in Shanghai.
8. Dongtan Eco-city
- List the organisations/groups that are involved in the development of Dongtan.
- List the ways that Dongtan will meet sustainability targets.
- What are the problems with this type of planned development?